Monday, February 21, 2011

The Thirty-Somethings

Turning thirty is definitely one of the most difficult birthdays a woman faces.  It marks the end of your twenties: the crazy, wild, sexy twenties that probably was the time of your life (at least for me it was).  You are no longer a teenager.  You can legally drink; you graduated college; you are traveling; you have many boyfriends; and you are experimenting with life and all its lovely offerings.  I must admit, my twenties were a bit of a confusing time.  I wasn't always happy.  In fact, there were many times I felt confused and out of control.  The one thing I did know in my twenties was that I was NOT thirty, and still felt young!
Then came the BIG 3-0.  Ugh.  It wasn't so much that my life drastically changed the day I turned thirty; it was more the idea of being thirty.  It just felt so...OLD.  To make matters worse, I remember talking with my cousin one day and looking at old pictures from when we were in our twenties and realizing how much older we looked.  I didn't have my baby face anymore, I looked MATURE.  Eeek!
It's not that I didn't want to look mature.  I just thought we would be twenty, well, forever! 
Being thirty-something isn't so bad.  I feel more confident in myself and not so lost.  I do dread the day I get gray hairs and wrinkles, but I guess it's a part of the inevitable process we call aging.  
While I wish I could slow down the aging process, I must accept it and learn to deal with it.  My closest friends are having children now (talk about pressure) and I find myself trying to come to grips with the fact that we're becoming real adults.  Marriage, children, homeowners, suburbs (not everyone), book clubs...we all grew up!  It's such a fascinating yet sober realization.  
So to all my thirty-something ladies out there, grab your thirties by the horns and ride it out to the fullest!  

No comments:

Post a Comment