Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Tale of a Domestic Feminist

Some believe the era of feminism is slowly fading and we are now entering into a new era of fashion, fame, fortune, and celebrity obsession.  While the latter is arguably true, I beg to differ that feminism is fading.  Rather, I tend to think that feminism is taking on a new face. 
Yes, the recent years of celebrity obsession has drawn many women to feel they must look a certain way, act a certain way, and be of certain status to get anywhere in this world.  Perhaps this is true if you are looking to be in Hollywood.  However, the average woman in America seems to be taking on a different approach. 
The modern woman is hard working, powerful, independent, driven, and unique.  (Thank you women's rights movement!)  These words describe all types of women in America: corporate women, business women, professionals, stay-at-home moms, 9-5 women, athletes, academics, and many many more.  
I am definitely a supporter of the women's rights movement and respect all the women that fought so hard to get us where we are today. BUT, I also love many domestic things that pre-feminist era were considered part of a "woman's role" in the house.

So what are these domestic activities that I love?  
For starters, I love cooking.  I do most of the cooking in my household and that is because I love cooking, I'm good at it (yes, I am tooting my own horn), and why not do something I love?  I also love to bake and frequently enjoy getting together with girlfriends to bake and swap recipes.  Dare I mention I even have cookie parties??  When I first moved to the Bay Area, I met women that were very anti-domestic and very feminist.  I must admit this was a shock being from Texas.  I felt self conscious at first, not wanting to admit things I loved to do in fear of being looked down upon.  What would these women say if I invited them to a cookie party?  But, I have learned to embrace my inner domestic side and am very proud to say that I am a "Domestic Feminist."  
I do believe in the rights of women and I do enjoy doing activities traditionally thought of as "for women only."
So ladies it does not matter what category you fall under or between, embrace and celebrate yourself because we are all women and, for the most part, we all have the same worries, hopes, and dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment